We've teamed up with our friend, personal trainer and fellow Oak St Runner Uli Webster to provide an at-home maintenance routine for runners. Workouts requiring no equipment that can be done from the comfort of your living room that'll be sure to keep your body strong and ready for all those solo miles.
1. Body Weight Squat -Start standing with feet just wider than hip-width apart, toes pointed slightly out, clasp hands at chest for balance. Send hips back and bend at knees to lower down as far as possible with chest lifted. Press through heels backup to starting position. Repeat for 10 to 15 reps.
2. Reverse Lunges- Stand with feet together. Step right leg back, lowering down so both knees form a 90-degree angle, with right knee hovering just above the floor. Drive through the left heel to stand up to the starting position. Repeat on the left side. Continue alternating for 10 to 15 reps per side.
3. Lower Plank Hold- Start on your elbows underneath your shoulders. Step feet back and engage glutes and thighs to keep legs straight. Wide legs is an easier version , closed legs are harder! Keep your midsection engaged so it doesn’t collapse!Think about pushing your body together, creating tension. Hold this position for 15 to 60 seconds.
4. Mountain Climbers- Start in a high plank position, shoulders over wrists, core engaged so body forms a straight line from shoulders to hips to heels. Engage glutes and thighs to keep legs straight. Drive left knee in toward chest, then quickly step it back to plank position. Immediately drive the right knee in toward the chest, then quickly step it back into plank position. Continue alternating for 10 to 15 reps per side.
5. Hollow Hold- Lie face-up, upper body and legs come up, palms facing each other. Chin looks up ! Hold for 15 to 60 seconds.
6. Russian Twists-Sitting position, feet come up, using your side obliques turn head over belly button side to side. Repeat 10-20 times each side.
Perform each exercise 2-3 times with 1 minute between sets.